H. M. Convict Prison Peterhead 1888
Step back in time when you visit the former "HM Convict Prison, Peterhead" which officially opened in 1888 and now forms part of the Admiralty Gateway.
For the "inside story" of those brave personnel that staffed the first convict prison in Scotland from August 1888 to December 2013 what better way to learn than to visit and interact with guides in period costumes and see the cells and other key components of this complex that is known worldwide.
Winter Period (October - March):
- Monday - Sunday 10am to 4pm (last admission 2:30pm)
Summer Period (April - October):
- Monday - Sunday 10am to 6pm (last admission 4:30pm)
Please Note: No Pets Allowed. Assistance Dogs Welcome.
To find out more about pricing & opening times visit the tours page.
Now Open, this complex will both enthral and teach you what life was really like behind bars, which includes:
- Visitor Centre
- An array of prison memorabilia
- Prison tours
- Historical photos
- Cell and punishment block access
- Traditional and interactive displays
- Re-creation of convict working areas
- Historic Peterhead RNLI Lifeboat exhibit (Under Renovation)
More information will be added as the development progresses and the trail evolves, where we look forward to welcoming you soon.