Step back in time when you visit the former "H.M. Convict Prison, Peterhead" which officially opened in 1888 and now forms part of the Admiralty Gateway.
For the "inside story" of those brave personnel that staffed the first convict prison in Scotland from August 1888 to December 2013 what better way to learn than to visit and interact with guides in period costumes and see the cells and other key components of this complex that is known worldwide.
Now open, this complex will both enthral and teach you what life was really like behind bars, which includes:
- Refuge Café, open 11am – 4pm, overlooking the Harbour of Safe Refuge
- Newly opened areas including the former woodwork area, life in the tailor's workshop and life in the prison quarters
- "Gentle" Johnny Ramensky Cell
- Visitor Centre
- An array of prison memorabilia
- Prison tours - Group Tours available Wednesday to Sunday
- Historical photos
- Cell and punishment block access
- Traditional and interactive displays
- Re-creation of convict working areas
- Historic Peterhead RNLI Lifeboat exhibit (Under Renovation)
Please Note: No Electric Wheel Chair access. Assistance Dogs Only (No Pets).